Being big and tall has many advantages, like always being able to see at concerts, dunk a basketball, and never being too short to ride the rollercoasters, but it’s not always such a bonus when it comes to running.
The average height of a professional marathon runner is only 5’7”, and sprinters are only a little taller. Why is this? Well, there are many arguments and theories as to why, but you cannot deny that as you get taller you get heavier, and this will increase the impact through your joints as you run. So sadly, lots of tall guys will fall victim to injury before they reach the great distances and speeds of their shorter counterparts.
Having said that, Usain Bolt is a whopping 6’5”, so that proves it’s not your great height that’s slowing you down. Must be your running shoes! Let’s get you fixed up with some that will have you finishing first in no time.
This is a great choice if you’re looking for that reliable New Balance quality but don’t want the price tag of the 1080V10. Here’s why:
- They are cushioned and comfortable, but not bulky.
- They are the heaviest shoe in the pile at 80oz, which might be a little too heavy for some runners, so worth considering.
- ABZORB crash pad cushion your ride for much-needed support with every stride.
- Very reasonably priced at $70
- Available in regular, wide and extra wide up to size 15.
Sketchers are known for comfort and wearability, and these don’t let them down. Here’s how:
- If you’re after extra cushioning and shock absorption to protect your joints, these are the pick for you. They are also super comfy for everyday walking shoes.
- An air cooled memory foam insole will mold perfectly to your foot shape.
- Slip resistant grip makes them suitable for track, road or trail running.
- Weight 32 oz
- Reasonable priced at $90
- Available up to size 14
If you’re an Under Armour fan, but not wanting to break the bank, these are a solid choice. Here’s why:
- A good choice for the wider footed male as they come in regular, wide and extra wide.
- Light weight mesh is breathable, flexible and light
- Available up to size 15 extra wide
- Lightest in the lineup at 8.8 oz
- A cheaper alternative to the Under Armour Tribase at a bargain $50
The brand worn by Usain Bolt himself! Puma must be doing something right. Here’s what:
- Available up to size 14 (wide)
- Eva Foam in the heal absorbs impact
- A little heavier at 48 oz
- Sleek streamline design, ideal for track or road running
- Great price at around $60
Stylish and practical, these are a good allrounder. Here’s how:
- Available up to size 15 (wide)
- Loads of colour choices
- Thick grip for road or trail running
- Perfect combination of soft and light makes them super comfortable
- Great arch support for long distance running
- Weight 32oz
- On the expensive end starting at $120.
A clear choice if you have truly whopping feet! Here’s why
- Available in regular, wide and extra wide all the way up to size 16!
- Designed by data, meaning New Balance have done their research and come in as the number 1 choice brand for long distance runners as voted by Runner’s World.
- They are soft, durable and super responsive.
- Weight 32oz
- The priciest on the list at $150
A great choice if you love getting out in nature and running through challenging terrain. Here’s why:
- Trail Specific Outsole: Reversed lugs provide uphill and downhill traction on all types of terrain
- High abrasion rubber means they can withstand more wear and tear as you pace over rugged terrain.
- GEL Cushioning System absorbs shock
- Available in regular, wide and extra wide up to size 15
- Super lightweight at 11.2oz
- A fantastic price for a highly engineered trainer at $60
These shoes are designed to work in harmony with the shape of your foot and your natural stride. Here’s how:
- Anatomical shape provides great comfort and encourages runner to move in their natural way, whilst providing cushioned support.
- Vegan friendly shoe uses 0% animal derived products for a guilt free consciencce
- Super lightweight at 12.5 oz, you’ll feel like running on air.
- Sole provides enough grip for trail running but may not be thick enough to protect feet if running over rocks.
- Amazing price at $36
These shoes promise tons of cushioning but maintain a sleek design. Here’s how:
- The inner sole is super soft but does not compromise on responsiveness or durability.
- Mesh fabric is breathable and moves and expands in harmony with your stride.
- Reasonably light weight 32oz
- Price $120
- Available in regular and wide fit up to size 15.
A brilliantly engineered shoe, these trainers have been carefully considered from toe to heal. Here’s how:
- Larger external heel increases stability & heel lock-in
- Micro G foam midsole provides the ultimate in responsive cushioning
- Flexible material promotes a natural movement.
- Very lightweight at 11oz
- Price $120
- Available up to size 15
Ok, so excuses obliterated. Tall runners, go make Mr Bolt proud!